Sunday, March 2, 2014

for when you can't see the path

"The LORD had said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your people, and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.'"
Genesis 12:1

I'm somebody who always wants to be able to see the path ahead of me. In fact, my prayers for years have included the plea for God to show me His plan for my life--something in the form of a roadmap, with "time of travel" and "duration of stop" clearly marked would be nice.

If I could just know where I'm headed, where I'm going to end up, it would be so much easier to make the journey.

But what about when God doesn't tell me where I'm headed? What happens when He tells me to go and follows that up with, "I'll let you know when you get there"? What happens when God tells me to leave everything I know, but He doesn't tell me what I'm going to find when I get there?

There's a quote by E.L. Doctorow that says, "Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." Lots of people say our lives are stories, so I guess it's not too big of a leap to make to say that applies pretty well to life, too.

Instead of headlights, though, we have a lamp:
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."
Psalm 119:105

I can't see the road ahead.
I don't know what God has in store for my life--and looking at what all has happened so far and all the twists and turns that have been in the road, I imagine I would run away if I did know.

But I have God's promise to guide me:
"He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His way."
Psalm 25:9

And I have His promise to hold me up:
"If the LORD delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with His hand."
Psalm 37:24

And you know what?
I think maybe I can make the whole trip that way!



***
Sometimes, it's nice to be assured that when God makes a promise He has the power to see it through. I've written a short study (just 5 days a week for 4 weeks) on God's power that's available on Amazon or CreateSpace.

If you are a Kindle person, that edition will be free on Wednesday and Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? I would love to hear them!
~Mandy

parenting teens

 My mom once asked her own mom what she thought was the hardest part about raising kids. I'm not sure when their conversation took place...

what people are reading...