Tuesday, February 21, 2012

who i am

authenticity.

that's my goal with this blog, because i feel like without being authentic i'm not being faithful to what God has told me to do. so, i'm going to just be me when i write and not worry about anything else.

the problem is, to be authentic you have to know who you are.

there are many different ways to describe me, and i imagine that if i asked everyone i know who they think i am, you would get a bunch of different answers.
i'm a...
wife
mommy
list maker
daughter
sister
friend
dreamer
teacher
physicist (eek! it still doesn't feel quite right to say that...)
writer
listener
farmer's daughter
preacher's kid
procrastinator.

i'm also...
impatient
disorganized
messy
emotional
intelligent
insecure
forgetful.

i'm sure those lists could go on and on, and i'm sure those who know me would come up with other titles or words to describe me.

but who am i?
it's all well and good to know how the world describes me, maybe better to know what i think of myself, but the only thing that really matters?
how God describes me. 

to Him, i am...
His masterpiece 
"for we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." 
(ephesians 2:10, NLT)
His child 
"yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God–"  
(john 1:12, NIV)
justified 
"...justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"(romans 3:24, NKJV)
a new creation 
"therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"  
(2 corinthians 5:17, NIV)
redeemed 
"blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ"  
(ephesians 1:3, NASB)
chosen, holy, and beloved 
"so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience"
(colossians 3:12, NASB). 
 
 i struggle with knowing who i am, with trying to figure out my identity. i always thought, growing up, that i would have no doubts about what i wanted to be when i grew up (why, i don't know. i am definitely my father's daughter in this...), especially by now.
it's frustrating at times to realize that i have no clue.

despite what i may think or what i may struggle with,
it's pretty amazing to be reminded of who God says i am!
 


2 comments:

  1. Very well said, friend. It's easy to get stuck trying to fill the world's description of us.
    Great reminder!
    May I share this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wanda. It was a reminder I was glad to get, too. And of course you can share it--I'm flattered you want to!

      Delete

Thoughts? I would love to hear them!
~Mandy

parenting teens

 My mom once asked her own mom what she thought was the hardest part about raising kids. I'm not sure when their conversation took place...

what people are reading...