Friday, January 4, 2013

one word for 2013

How many times growing up were you told to be a leader?

Our society seems focused on being the leader, the one out in front all the time. We are taught to develop our leadership skills
we pick team captains from childhood
we strive for promotions
we work hard to be at the front of the pack.

I'm definitely no exception--I worked hard to become captain of my cheer squad from middle school on through my senior year, I studied to be at the head of my class and then get into the Honors Program at Tech when I started college (the first time around, anyways!), I developed the skills that would get me into grad school. I was taught to lead instead of just going along with the crowd.

What if there's something else being asked of me, though?

Hang with me here--if you're like me, this concept is a bit of a hard pill to swallow.

What if, instead of being pushed to become a leader, I'm being asked to simply...

Follow. That is my word for 2013. It found me unexpectedly, but the word found me nonetheless (maybe it would be more fitting to say the Word found me?). I'll go into it a bit more next time, but for now I have something new to try...

Have you come up with a word for 2013? 
I'm going to really jump into the blogging world right off the bat this year and do my first ever giveaway with this post. So here's the deal:

All you have to do is leave a comment telling me what your one word is for 2013. I'll pick one person to then receive a handmade print of their word like the one above. If you win, all you have to do is shoot me an email giving me a few details about why you chose your word and letting me know your mailing address. I'll probably ask you a few more things like color choices, style, size, etc., but that's it.

That's it--nothing to review, nothing major to do.

So, what's your one word for 2013? Leave a comment then check back next week to see if you won!

***Thanks to everyone who entered! Entries are now closed--the winner will be announced on Thursday (picked with a random number generator because I'm a physics nerd), so check back then and we'll start working out the details!***

13 comments:

  1. My word found me unexpectedly too: STRETCH. will be interesting to ponder this in 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes...my word found me too! It's "yield" and it's not one I would have rushed headlong into if I didn't know it had come from God himself! Blessings!
    Lorretta at Dancing on the Dash

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word for me this year is Persevere. N

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word is intentional. Thanks for the opportunity to win a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually chose 2 words ... one of which is CHOOSE (go figure)! =) Reasons are spelled out here: http://www.masterpiece-beth.com/2012/12/31/restoration/ and here: http://www.masterpiece-beth.com/2013/01/02/maybe-two-words/ but basically I am praying for a theme of God given RESTORATION this year while dedicating myself to CHOOSE the best over the good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word for the year would definitley be Patience. I feel like I have very little these days, and I will certainly need it more when baby two arrives in May! I'll also need it as I wait for God to show me the way over the year as we work toward paying off a couple bills to (hopefully) open a very important door. Thanks for making me pinpoint a word! It just came to me as I was reading your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My word is discipline - "systematic instruction intended to train a person." My focus this year is to be teachable while at the same time I am a teacher for my little ones.

    You have a beautiful word and some attractive artwork. Thanks for this blog post.
    In His Grip,
    Monica
    http://happyandblessedhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. my word for the year is Excelsior. it means higher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My word is respect. Follow is a wonderful word

    ReplyDelete

parenting teens

 My mom once asked her own mom what she thought was the hardest part about raising kids. I'm not sure when their conversation took place...

what people are reading...