Tuesday, March 13, 2012

a verse to claim...

after pouring out my heart here yesterday, i stumbled (haha--guess it was a "God thing") across a verse. i think i saw it in the king james version, but i'm going to share the message's take on it with you all...

"but I'll take the hand of those who don't know the way, who can't see where they're going. I'll be a personal guide to them, directing them through unknown country. I'll be right there to show them what roads to take, make sure they don't fall into the ditch. These are the things I'll be doing for them--sticking with them, not leaving them for a minute." ~isaiah 42:16

i've used a metaphor quite a bit like this one before to describe my walk with God, saying that i know He's leading me down this path i can't see. i've described it like this: sometimes, i feel like the light God is leading me with is something very similar to a lightning bug. it shows up faintly for a minute, then the light flashes off and shows up a little further down the trail.

the thing is, that isn't how this verse paints the picture at all.

in isaiah, God says He will be a personal guide to those of us who can't see where we're going. the new international version puts it a little differently:  
"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. these are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

i've been walking on this path in the dark, thinking i'm struggling on my own to follow a God who keeps getting just a little further away, but that's not it at all.

instead, He's right next to me, acting as my personal guide. He's not leaving my side, it's just that i'm walking blind, moving with my eyes closed. those brief moments when i see His light?

those are the moments when i open my eyes.

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Goosebumps :) Hang in there sweet girl! Your posts are such a blessing to me. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? I would love to hear them!
~Mandy

holy week

Every once in a while, I read a verse of Scripture and think, "I wonder when that got put in there..." because it catches me as so...

what people are reading...