Thursday, February 25, 2016

life hurts...

And love hurts.

Sometimes, it can only be described as excruciating. When life knocks you flat on your face, it's easy to start wondering if you should just stay there in the dust. Because quite honestly, it hurts too much to stand back up.

Today, my hometown is rocked by the devastating loss of a little boy. It's one of those losses that doesn't make any sense, one that leaves us with nothing more than questions without answers. When you're part of a small town, everyone feels the pain of a loss. Everyone's world is rocked.

I'm struggling with what to write, because it's in times like this that words simply aren't enough. They feel like empty platitudes, no more helpful or lasting than smoke in cold air. In times like this, you don't want to hear that life will go on, or that God works in mysterious ways, or that He has plans, or that time heals all wounds.

When your heart has been shattered, those things don't matter much.

In those times, despite what we're so often told, I think it's okay to cry out to God with those questions we can't answer. It's okay to be mad at Him--He understands our grief and He can take it. He can handle us kicking and screaming and crying and questioning, because He is our Father. And lest we forget, He knows what it means to lose a Son.

We can cry out, "My eyes are strained as I look for what You've promised, saying, 'When will You come to comfort me?'" ~Psalm 119:82

His answer?

Just like He always has, our Father says, "I will satisfy those who are weary, and I will refresh every soul in the grips of sorrow." ~Jeremiah 31:25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? I would love to hear them!
~Mandy

parenting teens

 My mom once asked her own mom what she thought was the hardest part about raising kids. I'm not sure when their conversation took place...

what people are reading...