Thursday, February 2, 2012

dreams

i started a reading plan on a website called YouVersion (note the link on the side of the page). it is by Joyce Meyer, which i'm really excited about. my plan, of course, was to read it everyday.

what has happened, though, is a bit different. i read thursday's, the 27th, the first day of the plan...
                          ...and then i stopped.

i can give excuses--i was sick for the last 4 days, i had a sick husband and sick kids--but exactly how much energy does it take to get online? (especially when you are like us and your tv and computer are one in the same...) the thing is, i don't think i really have an excuse. 

i just didn't do it.

the funny thing (my mom would call it a "God thing") is, when i started it up again this morning, planning on catching up really quick because each day has a short verse and then something Joyce Meyer wrote, i stopped at day 2.

it wasn't the verse that got me. don't get me wrong--the verse is good and all, just not quite what got through my thick skull this morning. what really made me stop was the short devotional for the day (for friday, but that's okay!).

the first line Joyce Meyer wrote was "what is the dream that God's placed in your heart? i'm not asking if you have one, i already know it's there because God gives all of us dreams."

i don't know about you, but to me it is really nice to read something like that.

my dream is to write (as is obvious by both this blog and my other one ). for a long time, i wouldn't tell people that.

i guess i was afraid of what people would think. it was hard enough telling people i was going to major in physics, something that seemed to have real, practical applications (that could be debatable right now, but that's a story for a different day).


if i told people i wanted to write, what would they think of me? that's a crazy idea, and it brings to mind the whole "starving artist" lifestyle.


not something that works well for a family.


instead, i went to school and pushed writing aside. it was a secret thing for a long time, something i didn't tell anybody about. my husband was the only one of my family who even knew for a while.


how great is it to hear that your dream--that one you maybe pushed aside, buried deep in your heart, kept a secret because it might seem crazy to other people--is the dream God gave you?


you know what else is funny?
since i first told my friends and family that i want to write, i've gotten nothing but support from them for this crazy dream i have.


funny, huh?

so, what dream has God given you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? I would love to hear them!
~Mandy

art majors

 My oldest daughter is an artist. She has a sketchbook with her at pretty much all times, and she has the kind of skill that is unimaginable...

what people are reading...