Tuesday, January 22, 2013

follow...but who (or what) do I follow?

I had every intention of getting back into the swing of things here on the blog in 2013 after letting it drift almost into oblivion towards the end of 2012...

Best laid plans of mice and men, i suppose...

Well, that aside, I've done some thinking about my word, follow.

It seems rules/plans/goals fit nicely into groups of 3 for some reason, so I've come up with the 3 ways I need to focus on following this year.

1) Follow my Savior
"When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" (John 8:12)

~We are told many times to follow Christ. That needs to be my number one focus this year, because even though I know to the very core of my being that that should be my first priority and that everything else will fall into place so much easier if I put that goal first
             so many times it falls by the wayside
       as my attention drifts
and I lose sight of the One who is most important.

2) Follow my husband
"Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord." (Colossians 3:18)

~I know this.

Really I do.

But, see, I have this problem with always wanting to be right (I know I'm not...not always, anyway. Everybody has an off day every few years...), and nobody experiences that side of me more than Nathan.
I'm stubborn and hard-headed, and sometimes even when I know deep down that--gasp!--Nathan's right and I'm wrong
                   I'll still argue my point.
Yeah. Not such a great way of submitting, huh?

3) Follow my dreams
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37: 4)

~I fully believe that God gives us dreams because He wants us to see them fulfilled. Does that mean that I think everything I think I want is actually a God-sized dream?
Of course not.
I do believe, though, that my desire to write is from Him. In what form, I don't know, but I'm hoping to find that out.

You know how above I said that I always want to be right and always want to be in control?

Oh, I left out the control part, huh? 
Well, that's kind of a biggie, too, and this is one of those places where it really comes into play.
See, I keep planning out just what exactly needs to happen with my writing. I even go so far as to try and make a timeline every once in a while.

I've stopped chasing the dream--
following my heart
--and I've been trying to push it forward.

Have you ever watched smoke curl up from a fire?
You can follow the smoke as it winds around, but the minute you start trying to push it, the smoke dissipates.
I think that might be the same with dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? I would love to hear them!
~Mandy

holy week

Every once in a while, I read a verse of Scripture and think, "I wonder when that got put in there..." because it catches me as so...

what people are reading...