Tuesday, June 3, 2014

finding rest

Life is busy--sometimes, there's no way around it. We all have responsibilities and obligations that keep us moving full steam ahead.

Other times, though, we choose to be busy because we know that if we slow down we'll have too much time to think; we keep moving forward because we just don't want to look back.

I've never been fond of falling apart. For those who know me, that's probably putting it a bit mildly, huh? I pride myself on being independent, able to handle things on my own. "I can do it myself!" was probably the first full sentence in my vocabulary.

I guess it's a control thing.

The problem is, in Christ we are called to brokenness.

"I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead."
Philippians 3:10 & 11

"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. [...] For when I am weak, then I am strong."
II Corinthians 12: 9 & 10b

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise."
Psalm 51:17

You see, when we are broken we have no choice but to cry out to God, to say with the psalmist, 
"Into Your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O Lord,
the God of truth."
Psalm 31:5

So what would happen if we chose to embrace rest?

I'm not saying we should shirk our responsibilities, but what if--just for a moment--we put aside the extra busy-ness that is simply there to hide our brokenness?

Bonnie Gray, the blogger behind Faith Barista, went on a painfully beautiful journey to embrace rest, to live as the beloved. She has poured her heart out for all of us to read in her book being released today, "Finding Spiritual Whitespace."

Through her own memories of being abandoned and unwanted, Bonnie learned a powerful truth:
"He is whispering--
         I am here.
         In between the cracks, where you've left yourself"    (p. 32, Chapter 1)

Jesus is waiting for us, there in the broken, messy part of our souls. He is there saying,

"Come to Me,
all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30


Though we've only met through the blogging world, I've been blessed by Bonnie's words and am grateful for the opportunity to have gotten to know her a little more through her book. If you're looking for rest, Bonnie's journey may help to start you on your own path.

21 Days of Rest: Finding Spiritual Whitespace
*Linking up with Bonnie and a community of writers for "21 Days of Rest" to welcome Bonnie's new book into the world! You're welcome to stop by and see what others have to say.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful job! I love that quote too, the one about what was left between the cracks- so good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? I would love to hear them!
~Mandy

parenting teens

 My mom once asked her own mom what she thought was the hardest part about raising kids. I'm not sure when their conversation took place...

what people are reading...