Skip to main content

another view of Mary and Martha

 You probably know the story of Lazarus--he was sick, and his sisters sent word to Jesus. Jesus loved these three siblings...but He waited two more days after He got word about Lazarus' illness. By the time Jesus got to the town of Bethany, He received word that Lazarus had been dead and in the tomb for 4 days. This is the story that gives us one of the most fun sentences to read in the King James version: "Lord, by this time he stinketh" (John 11:39) Don't ask me why that amuses me, I guess I just have an odd sense of humor... Anyway, the story of Lazarus ends when Jesus commanded Lazarus to walk out of the grave, and that was exactly what happened.

Tucked into the story, though, is something that caught my attention recently.

We met Mary and Martha before the story of their brother's death, when Jesus had visited Bethany earlier. That visit showed Martha rushing around, doing all the work to make sure Jesus and His disciples were comfortable and fed, while Mary sat at Jesus' feet. When Martha wanted Jesus to get onto Mary and tell her to help, instead Jesus said that Mary had chosen what was best.

Fast forward a bit, and we see a different picture: in the middle of their grief, Mary and Martha are told that Jesus is coming. In John 11, we're told that Martha immediately went to meet Him. She didn't mince words--as soon as she saw Him she said, "Lord, if You had been with us, my brother would not have died. Even so I still believe that anything You ask of God will be done."

Martha was blocking out the fact that her brother died. She wasn't trying to cover her feelings up with holy-sounding words. Instead, she was blunt. She knew what Jesus could do, and she knew that He didn't do it. Her brother was dead.

That truth, though, didn't push her away from Jesus. Instead, the pain pushed her to Jesus. She ran to Him with her real feelings, not some sort of covered up, nice and neat version of what she thought she should say.

But what about Mary? What about the one we saw earlier, sitting at His feet? Now, in this hard season when she heard that Jesus was on His way, she stayed home.

We aren't told why Mary chose to stay home instead of going to meet Jesus, but I would guess that she was disappointed. She had believed He could heal her brother. In fact, I imagine she believed He would heal her brother. Now, facing the truth that her brother had been in the tomb for four days, she chose not to go meet Jesus. Maybe she didn't want to see Him. Maybe she was mad. Or maybe she just didn't want to pour out her grief and knew that as soon as she saw Him it would all come pouring out.

Whatever the reason for Mary not going to meet Jesus, here's what stood out to me: Jesus didn't chastise her. He didn't lecture her or give her a bunch of religious-sounding platitudes. Instead, He sent for her--and we're told that when Martha told her sister that, Mary immediately went to Him.

She fell at His feet and said, "Lord, if only You had been here, my brother would still be alive." No pretty words. No hiding her feelings. Just the painful, unvarnished truth, poured out by a grieving sister.

We don't have to hide the hard things from God. He understands the hurt, grief...and yes, even disappointment and anger. He knows that we go through seasons in life, some in which we sit at His feet and adoringly soak up everything He says, hanging on every word...and some in which we don't go to meet Him, afraid of the raw pain that might bubble out.

And through every bit of it, He calls us to Him. He loves us through all the hard stuff. He sees our pain, and it hurts His heart ("Jesus wept," John 11:35).

If you find yourself in one of those seasons, know that He's calling you to Him and He can take you pouring out all the raw, unfiltered feelings.


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a little bit of physics (don't be scared!)

"by faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible." hebrews 11:3 this is one of my favorite verses--i call it my physics verse because to me it is tying together my faith and subatomic particles. no, really--i mean it! when i first started working on a degree in physics and a minor in biology, somebody (i don't remember who anymore, but it seems like it was somebody on some kind of discussion board...) told me that i would forget about all that dumb "christianity" (<--spell checker doesn't like that. hmm...) stuff. once i had been educated, i would see that faith was superstition and a pointless waste of time, something for the ignorant, uneducated masses.  while i'm sure that is the conclusion some people come to, it sure wasn't for me.                          ...

He is God...and I'm not

There's a song that's been around for a while, but there's a specific line in that song that really sticks with me: "Sometimes I gotta stop remember that You're God and I am not."   It's from "Thy Will" by Hillary Scott, released 9 years ago.   I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to want to control everything in my life. I've told my kids many times that our biggest strengths can also be our greatest weaknesses, and this is one of those things for me--my self-reliance. It's a great thing when I need to convince myself to do hard things, but it's not so great when I fall onto my self-reliance as an excuse for not trusting others...and most importantly, not trusting God.   You see, it's easy for me to say that I believe the promises of God are true. I know He promises never to leave. I know He promises that His love is unconditional and eternal. I know He promises that He made plans for me long before time began. I kno...

one word for 2013

How many times growing up were you told to be a leader? Our society seems focused on being the leader, the one out in front all the time. We are taught to develop our leadership skills we pick team captains from childhood we strive for promotions we work hard to be at the front of the pack. I'm definitely no exception--I worked hard to become captain of my cheer squad from middle school on through my senior year, I studied to be at the head of my class and then get into the Honors Program at Tech when I started college (the first time around , anyways!), I developed the skills that would get me into grad school. I was taught to lead instead of just going along with the crowd. What if there's something else being asked of me, though? Hang with me here--if you're like me, this concept is a bit of a hard pill to swallow. What if, instead of being pushed to become a leader, I'm being asked to simply... Follow. That is my word for 2013. It found me unexpect...